Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday Poetry Something or Other

Something from the vault.

phobia


after much food and drink

I take a walk in the night
while Baby does the dishes
I turn down a dark street
I am not
frightened by the dark street we are in
Platanes, Crete
and the most dangerous thing
I can think of
is the uncertain sidewalk

a motorcycle takes the corner

heads intentionally for me
at the last second veers
and speeds away
there isn’t any laughter

back at our hotel prepared

with my motorcycle story
I find my husband on the floor
keep your shoes on he says I dropped a wine bottle
there are shards in every corner
of the room this is his fear
right now he is frightened by bits of glass

when flying with my husband I figure

one of us should not be afraid as the plane dips
I take his damp hand and smile

I am frightened sometimes by herds of animals

because of the way they all move at once
one thought becomes all thought
all thought becomes sudden

I am not frightened by cherry blossoms

although they are just as sudden
and of one mind

but I’ve never

had to jump out of their way
and when they drop on stone floors
it is merely fragrant snow


10 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

May a times normal moments scare us!

Welcome to MPTR!

Fledgling Poet said...

This was beautiful...your last two stanzas were soft but so powerful. You described the fears in us all so cleverly!

Vicki said...

I loved this. I was right there in every scene as I read. :)

SweetTalkingGuy said...

Cherry blossom like fragrant snow... Lovely description!

ps love the whatsit~thingy 'Monday poetry something or other'

S.L. Corsua said...

I like the fact that you've managed to tackle with ease different kinds of phobia in this piece. The paranoia is palpable, pulse-drumming. ;) Cheers.

Tumblewords: said...

Fine work - imagery superb. Your blog is full of interesting posts - dropping bread crumbs to find my way back.

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Hi Gautami... well, it's more like welcome back... I've been off the train for several months. Looking forward to interacting more now that my job is almost over... yippee!

Danika / OpenChannel said...

Hi Tumblewords - yes, I hope people get lost in my blog and have to navigate back... I like when I get lost in blogs myself.

Thanks for stopping by S.L., STG, Fledgling... and Vicki - always great to "see" you. :-)

artpredator said...

whoo hoo! this is awesome, danika!! love how it builds and evolves and turns corners and boom! there we are--smelling the spilt wine, the blossoms, the motorcycle exhaust!

Danika / OpenChannel said...

hey, thanks, AP.

I can actually hear your voice reading this. It has your kind of rhythm.